• Bake
  • Cook
  • Gift
  • Decorate
  • Celebrate
  • Shop

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup


On Sunday evenings, when I'm planning my week, I almost always look at the weather forecast before I do anything else.  The weather determines my daughter's activity options and inspires what I'll make for meals.  The beginning of this week started with highs near 80 but today rain came in and we had cool fall temps below 60 and all I could think to make was soup.  Well, and pie.  A steamy, hot apple pie.



Sadly, I can't share with you the apple pie recipe, but doesn't it look pretty?  My sister swore me to secrecy and made me promise I would stop giving out our family's recipe.  So sorry! But if you ever want me to make you one, I will.

Here's the soup recipe I found years ago in an old Betty Crocker slow cooker cookbook.  It makes my house smell so good and gets everyone in the mood for a comforting dinner.




Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soap
adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe

1lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (5 thighs), cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 cans condensed cream of potato soup (10 3/4 oz each)
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth w/ roasted garlic 
2 cups frozen sliced carrots 
1 cup half-and-half

Place chicken in a slow cooker.  Mix wild rice, onions, soup, broth, and carrots; pour over chicken.  (if you can't find broth with roasted garlic just add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to regular broth).  

Cover and cook on low heat for 6 - 7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Stir in half-and-half.  Cover and cook on high heat 15 - 30 minutes or until hot. 

Note:  Sometimes my slow cooker cooks a little hot and soups become thicker than I like, with the broth evaporating.  If this happens to you reduce the crockpot to warm setting and add a bit more broth.

0 comments: