• Bake
  • Cook
  • Gift
  • Decorate
  • Celebrate
  • Shop

More Peas Mac N Cheese

This is a super simple, homemade version of Macaroni and Cheese.  I first made this dish when I was pregnant.  I vaguely remember a lot of crying and pouting when I found out my husband had eaten the  leftovers I'd stored to feed my craving for the dish.  It's not something I'm proud of but that's just how good this is.  Now our 1 1/2 year old daughter devours it every time I make it.

More Peas Mac N Cheese
Easily feeds a family of four or double the recipe to feed more.



  • 1/2 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 cups low-fat milk
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup grated gruyere
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • pinch of cayenne, or more depending on taste
Heat oven to 350 degrees


Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Drain.  Add frozen peas to pasta and stir in.  The heat from the cooked pasta will start to warm up the peas.

In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.  Sprinkle flour over butter stirring constantly for two minutes, or until combined and smooth. Still stirring slowly add milk until combined and the sauce has thickened (you'll need to stir at least 5 minutes).  Add the cheeses, salt, and cayenne until melted.

Add the macaroni and peas to the sauce and toss.  Transfer to a buttered 8 x 8 casserole dish.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes.  During the last couple minutes of baking I turn the broil on to crust the top.

How simple is this?  These are all the ingredients you need for this dish.

It seems appropriate to serve Mac N Cheese in a fun dish.

0 comments: