• Bake
  • Cook
  • Gift
  • Decorate
  • Celebrate
  • Shop

Harvest and Halloween Ready

It's officially fall and my home is officially ready to host parties and welcome trick-or-treaters.

As much as I love the fall,  I edit myself when it comes to decorating our home.  If I weren't careful I could really get out of control.  Pumpkins, witches, and scarecrows...oh my!

For me, it's about keeping the festive decorations classic and charming, while mixing in a little bit of fun.  And I only have one hard-fast rule.  No, absolutely no, plastic! No plastic and no blow-up lawn ornaments.  I guess that's two rules.  (no offense to any of you with large collections of blow up pumpkins and snow globes).  If it's coming to my house for the holidays it's got to be metal, wood, or alive.  The only exception I make on a very rare basis is the occasional faux flower.

For the most part my decorating for October and November is done, though I will most likely add a few more mums and gourds here and there.  I just can't pass by a farm or nursery without buying one or the other.  By the time the turkey is stuffed I'll have a porch full of both.

Here's a little tip for the tug and pull of how much Halloween versus how much Harvest you put out. Place all your harvest-themed decorations in and around your home first. Once you're satisfied with how it looks, then fill in the spaces with Halloween.  That way, when October 31st has come and gone, you can remove the goblins and witches and still love the Thanksgiving feel your fall decorations provide.

Adding small touches like potted pumpkins or a coffee table book about farms will add a bit of fall festive to your home, without making it look overdone or "cutesy."

Now that I have a daughter I want to add fun decorations kids will love, but I don't want my house to look like a toy store.  Buying quality items like these wooden blocks or this metal rooster look nice but are also fun for the little ones.  Maggie helped me decorate this metal tree with little ornaments and we'll add to it each year.

FALL PHOTOS OF OUR HOME







Our front walk will eventually fill up with more mums, gourds and candles but this is how we start the season. 



2 comments:

ClassyGal said...

What a beautiful home!! Love your fall decor! Your black lab is pretty sweet too

Nici Flinn said...

Thanks ClassyGal! Much appreciated.